Sometimes it’s just plain difficult to keep coming up with great tweets that will keep your followers engaged with you, and for someone using Twitter for business purposes, that can be a problem. The whole point of your presence on the platform is to engage with your audience and to encourage them to be active with your brand and your products. That makes it essential that you create and share content which will increase the number of followers you have on Twitter, and will cause followers you already have to stay more involved with you.
General tips on creating better content
There are a few general guidelines you can follow, which will help swell the ranks of your followers, as well as to encourage greater loyalty and interaction among those you’ve had for a while. First of all, you should try and include photos and videos as often as possible in your tweets, because everyone on the Internet gobbles up that kind of content, regardless of which social media platform they’re posted on. Statistics prove that content containing images and photos is far more likely to be read and remembered than content which is text only.
Re-posting some of your best tweets of the past is also a good idea because you will probably have gained some new followers since the original posting, who have not seen the tweet when it was first offered. Re-posting will also extend the mileage you get out of a really successful tweet, and will remind those who saw it the first time around that it was a great idea when it was originally shared. Another good practice to increase engagement with your tweets is to update your Twitter profile regularly with information that adds value to your account, and which will be interesting and useful to your followers.
To further increase interest in your tweets, you can spice things up by having a guest social media influencer supply an occasional tweet. People love to hear from celebrities or other public figures whom they admire, and this will always cause a spike in readership and engagement, when someone they genuinely connect with, offers their thoughts via your account.
Lastly, be prudent with your use of the hashtag symbol when tweeting, which means using hashtags which are original and are an accurate reflection of your content. On Twitter, you should make sure your hashtags refer either to groups you want to engage with or a specific topic of conversation. That is not really true on the other platforms, but it’s a good rule to follow on Twitter. Don’t make your hashtags too long or too clever, because you’ll probably end up achieving the opposite of what you’re striving for. Be as specific as possible with your hashtags, but keep them relevant and unbranded, so they will reach the broadest possible audience.
Possible ideas for creating tweets
Now that you’re armed with some advice on how to create the best tweets, you might need a few ideas to get you started. Directly below, you’ll find a number of possibilities which you might want to consider when creating new tweets. On those days when your creative juices aren’t flowing as freely as you’d like, feel free to draw on some of the following ideas:
- If there’s something you do really well, ask your followers if they need any kind of help in that area
- Send out a general ‘thank you’ to all of your followers for their loyalty
- Show your appreciation to someone who shared one of your tweets
- Express your admiration to the author of an article which you’ve read and enjoyed
- Wish one of your followers a happy birthday at the appropriate time
- Tweet some behind-the-scenes photos of your workplace or business environment
- Ask your followers for their opinion before making a major purchase
- Tweet to learn more about your existing followers, and especially about any new followers who have recently come on board
- Respond to another person’s tweet with your opinion
- Supply a photo which includes the view from your office or from your home
- Tweet about some global event which has just occurred, or about something important from your neighborhood
- Write a tweet about some inspirational quote you’ve recently encountered
- Reveal your upcoming plans for the weekend or for your planned vacation, and encourage others to share their plans
- Tweet about some fun photos which depict important events from your past
- Write some content about a joke or a funny situation that never fails to make you laugh
- Pose a question to your followers about their thoughts on a specific topic
- Tweet about receiving great customer service from a professional you’ve recently dealt with
- If you’ve come across any humorous signs lately, post a photo of that sign along with your remarks
- Tweet about a great movie you’ve just seen, which has left a lasting impression on you
- Write a post about some aspect of your hometown which is interesting, either historically or currently
- Tweet a selfie, either of yourself alone or in a group, at a recent activity
- Write something about a company milestone your business has just achieved, and why it is so significant
- Tweet about an upcoming event you plan to attend, e.g. an opera, a baseball game, a talk delivered by someone important
- Share fascinating statistics or little-known facts about the industry you’re in
- Tweet about a good book which you have read in the past few months, and what about it really appealed to you
- Ask your followers to create a caption for a photo that you’ve posted
- Thank a new follower for becoming one of your fans
- When you come across an interesting tweet, re-tweet it to your followers
- Tweet about a YouTube video which you’ve seen recently, and what about it was so fascinating
- Provide your followers with a fill-in-the-blank question
- Offer a photo depicting a historical version of your business or possibly something from your personal life
As you can see from the above suggestions, there are literally endless opportunities for sharing great content with your followers, and even if you don’t like any of these, they might get you thinking about a related topic which you’d rather tweet about. Whatever you decide to offer your fans and followers, keep it relevant and useful to them, and try to keep it original.